Sunday 22 April 2012

'Cheer Me Up' Apple Cake (Apple Brownies)



I made this cake for 2 reasons. Number 1, I needed to use up some apples. Number 2, I needed cheering up.

This cake contains everything you need to cheer you up (except chocolate): brown sugar, honey, cinnamon, vanilla and soft apples. It tastes like apple pie and custard, with a hint of hot cross buns. Its delicious warm, and I imagine it would be lovely with custard if I hadn't eaten all the cake before I got the chance to make any.

This recipe used a 12"x9" tin and made between 9 and 12 slices, depending on how big you want your slices. You can use any apples, I used Pink Lady because that's what I had. Leave the skin on them.

Ingrediants
200g self raising flour
180g light brown sugar (plus extra to sprinkle)
180g Stork
3 eggs
3 apples (1 apple per egg used) chopped in cm cubes.
150g - 200g sultanas (depending on taste)
2 tbsp honey
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp cinamon

1. Set oven to gas mark 3/4  and grease and line tine
2. Put sultanas in a bowl with vanilla extract and honey, add a dash of hot water and cover with clingfilm. Put to one side.
3. Add butter, sugar (sifted), flour (double sifted), cinnamon and eggs to a bowl and mix.
4. Fold in the apples with a metal spoon
5. Fold in sultanas and any remaining juice in the bowl.
6. Spoon batter into tin and smooth. Sprinkle some brown sugar on top.
7. Cook on gas mark 3 - 4 for 40 minutes. The cake will be softer in the middle like brownies.
8. Allow to cool, then turn out to remove paper. Either return to tin or place on board to cut up.
9. Enjoy - and try it warm!




Thank you for reading!

I'm linking to: Food Trip Friday and  Food on Fridays

4 comments:

  1. This would definitely cheer me up, great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you call it,Cheer me,Apple Cake. :)

    Welcome and thanks for joining us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. because my name is cheerful...this will surely make me cheerful! hehehe! sounds so yummy, thanks for sharing your recipe! visiting late from FTF, hope to see you around. thanks and have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. apple brownies looks delish and thank you for sharing the recipe too :-) Dropping by from lasts weeks FTF

    http://www.homecookingwithjessy.com/dizzy-dogs/

    ReplyDelete